Most of the players on the One Chicago team have played college soccer or play in Saturday leagues right now. Currently the team is in second place, they are 12 and 2… and they are looking to bring home the win in the playoffs which are starting soon.
The highest scorer on the team is Ante, and the team’s goalie is Edson who has played soccer for many years. Parents, friends and family have been attending games and supporting the team, and the team gets a ton of support from the rest of the office as well.
At the end of the season, the winners of the tournament will be awarded $2,000.
Want to brush up on your soccer trivia? Here are some fun facts:
- -On average, soccer players run as far as 9.5 miles in a single match.
- -More than 1 in 20 soccer injuries are caused by celebrating goals on the pitch.
- -The most goals scored in a World Cup’s match was 10 by Hungary against El Salvador in 1982.
- -When the World Cup was hosted in the U.S. in 1994, they only spent US$30 million on infrastructure improvements. For the 2014 World Cup, Brazil spent US$11 billion.
- -In 1969, El Salvador waged war on Honduras after it lost against it in a soccer match
- -Soccer fans in Italy are called “tifosi”, meaning “carriers of typhus”, because their fanatism is like a fever.
- -149 – 0 is the highest score ever made in a Soccer game